Rainbow Cupcakes

Xxm had been pestering me to do some baking with him for weeks. So when I had a breather this Sunday after mugging for two exams for the last two weeks, I decided to bake some cupcakes with him. When I Googled for some simple cupcake recipes that is easy to execute with my three year old, I came across recipes for rainbow cupcakes. They were perfect! The batter was a simple vanilla recipe that was peanuts to concoct for a baking novice like me and the best part was, it provided lots of fun for my boy. The result was an colour explosion and perked up whoever who laid their eyes on the cupcakes. It was definitely a cheery way to start our Sunday!

image

After I had prepared the batter with some help from Xxm, he helped to colour the batter. He was surprised the black food colouring (when seen in the bottle) produced such vibrant hues of red, blue, green and yellow.

image

The next fun bit was to create his own rainbow cupcakes. I demonstrated one for him and got him to do the rest. I was a little particular about him making a mess although I tried my very best to tone my comments down. Nonetheless, Xxm did a terrific job ensuring that 90% of the batter stays in the cupcakes. The remaining 10% actually went straight into his tummy.

image

For the last bit, I bought some ready made Wilton decorating icing. This was a fantastic find for me as I did not have to purchase a huge pack of icing sugar for 12 cupcakes. Heaven knows when I would have the chance to use it again. I also got Xxm his favourite Thomas and crew cupcake icing from an online blogshop.  He was delighted, to say the least.

image

It was way past his afternoon nap when this picture was taken that he wasn’t feeling so picture friendly anymore. Right after this picture was taken, he popped down his favourite James cupcake and dozed off.

I got my rainbow cupcake recipe from this website which had tons of other gorgeous baking projects that I am keen to try out with the boys. For those who are interested, this is the recipe.

Ingredients (with slight modification to the original recipe)

2 cups plain flour, sifted
3/4 cups sugar (halved this but tasted just nice for us)
1 tbsp baking powder
¾ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g butter, softened
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Food colouring

red
yellow
green
blue

Method

Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10 minutes.
Blend all the ingredients to achieve the batter.
Divide the batter into four bowls and pour your food colouring into each bowl to get the desired hue.
Let your kid have fun making their own rainbow cupcake! Decorate with whatever embellishments you have on hand.

P/S: If you are game for icing, do check out the original recipe for detailed instructions.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s